Crosshatch is a small nonprofit in Northwest Lower Michigan dedicated to building strong communities through the intersections of art, farming, ecology and economy. We are seeking a Program Coordinator with strong skills in creating and maintaining networks, event planning, and volunteer management.
The Program Coordinator connects people through volunteerism, guilds, and community programs. You will also support the organization in managing operations and asset management. Your job is, first and foremost, to contribute intelligence, integrity, and consistently amazing results to help grow this small but energetic non-profit.
You will work as part of a small staff who together support Crosshatch’s mission.
Please see our website for our full slate of programs: www.crosshatch.org.
Hours and Location
Full time, including evening and weekend work. You will primarily telecommute (as do all Crosshatch staff) with a high level of autonomy and equally high levels of expectation. We are based in Northwest Lower Michigan; our service area runs the coasts from Manistee to Mackinac, with major areas of impact centered in Bellaire, Traverse City and Petoskey. You may live anywhere in this region, though a central location is advantageous. Travel (with your own car) throughout the region is a regular requirement of the position (mileage is reimbursed). Similarly, excellent telecommuting skills are required, including texting, email, phone, Glip, social media and other internet communication technologies.
Primary Tasks and Responsibilities
Guild Coordination (~35% of your time)
- Work with guilds throughout the region to help facilitate the unique needs of each group. This work requires a combination of adaptive leadership and basic administrative service.
- Regularly attend guild meetings to listen and network (weekday evenings, mostly)
- Work closely with guild anchors to build capacity within each guild.
- Report on guild activities.
- Support fundraising efforts around guild work.
Volunteer Management (~30%)
- Recruit, train and engage volunteers.
- Track volunteer hours, and use data to create reports.
- Build the volunteer program and help identify volunteer donors.
Micro Loan (~15%)
- Work closely with our lender-partners to develop and maintain the micro loan program, primarily through administrative support.
- Regularly check in with lendees on progress.
- Write synopsis of micro loan success stories.
Asset Management (~10%)
- Keep track of Crosshatch equipment and gear, in multiple locations, through online software.
- Know where every item is, at all times.
Chicken Coupe (~5%)
- Work with local farmers to cooperatively manage a chicken processing trailer.
Preservation Station (~5%)
- Facilitate logistics for Preservation Station.
- Attend Preservation Station events as needed.
Experience, Key Competencies and Requirements
Passion for the Crosshatch mission with an abiding love for farms and farmers, art and artists, the natural world and the ongoing act of weaving community.
A love of the thousand ways that people communicate and act, and an ability to operate with a wide range of personalities, including fast learning and adapting strategies on the fly.
Also, the capacity to self-motivate from a home office to meet deadlines, attend to small details, think, speak and write with clarity, think through the bigger picture, and strategically allocate your limited time and resources toward the most good. (We know this sounds like basic resume language but each of these is essential.)
Personality: poise, integrity, sisu, emotional intelligence.
Experience: with volunteers, program coordination, and some kind of community organizing/network development.
Competency: with Mac OS, Google Drive and Google Groups, MS Office/iWork, email and texting, as well as a generally high competency around learning new software.
Requirements: your own car, laptop (for now) and a text-friendly cell-phone.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$37,440/year. Benefits include flexible work schedules, a take-what-you-need time-off policy, and retirement plan. We are working toward offering partial health care coverage beginning in July 2018.
Crosshatch is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We are committed to creating an inclusive and safe environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Interested folks should submit an application here.
This position will remain open until filled by the right person.
Questions regarding this position should be directed to Amanda Kik, email@example.com.